How to Successfully Integrate and Implement the YouthBuild Construction Component
Posted 5/15/2019 12:51 PM by Lisa Reddy
Construction, a core component of YouthBuild, provides youth participants with hands-on work experience as they pursue an industry-recognized construction credential. A strong construction program must adhere to the pre-apprenticeship model to ensure successful implementation. The pre-apprenticeship model allows for integration of the training component into the educational and leadership components of YouthBuild.
Key areas of importance for strengthening and integrating the construction component include:
- Construction work site planning and operation
- How the work site agreement drives programmatic elements of the overall construction component
- Promising practices for teaching construction skills and managing construction projects
- Strategies for engaging participants in construction training and learning
- Integrating the construction component with the education, case management, and career components
- On-boarding best practices for new construction staff
- Employer engagement strategies within the construction industry
A best practice to incorporate these key areas is the development of a Construction Manual that documents policies and procedures to support compliance and serves as a guide for all staff and youth participants. The manual should include information on work site identification and management, partnership development for work site and employment opportunities, staff professional development tips, and training plans and general curricula, as well as identifying the safety plan and an emergency action plan that staff and participants are aware of.
To learn more best practices and strategies for addressing the key areas of importance listed above, be sure to check out the webinar recording of How to Successfully Integrate and Implement the YouthBuild Construction Component, held Tuesday, May 14, 2019. Presenters David Burch, Director, Construction and Vocational Training, YouthBuild International, and Rossie D. Cherry, DOL YouthBuild Technical Assistance Coach, provided attendees with in-depth practices and strategies learned from their years of experience both with YouthBuild USA and in the field.